Pages

Preparing for dad's 60th birthday (60大寿)


For the Chinese, the 60th birthday is a call for celebration.
This year, my dad is 60, and I'm racking my brains on what to get him!

We have never celebrated his birthday, because he hate cakes (or anything with cheese, cream, chicken whatever).
At most, mum would cook him mee sua with an egg.
Our birthdays were also rarely celebrated with joy - I remembered a period of time when I was growing up, that I had NO BIRTHDAY CAKES, because we were "poor" (or so my mum said, I guess during that time, it was the financial crisis and my dad could lose his job anytime).
I also remembered crying in my room lamenting and comparing, "why are my friends able to celebrate birthdays with their family, and dine out?" "why don't I even have a cake?"

To this day, our birthdays are just any other days.
We have a cake, but sometimes there're no one who sing "Happy Birthday" for us.
I don't even have a 21st birthday party! (Ok, I'm socially awkward)
But now that I remembered, on my 21st, we did went to a hotel for their buffet, which wasn't exactly cheap.
Okay...

So, with my dad turning 60, and the importance of celebrating one's 60th birthday, I'm starting to prepare for these misc stuffs.
Lousy brothers who don't bother helping.
Here are some plans I can think of

1. Longevity meal in a Chinese restaurant

No, I'm not going to call my relatives or my dad's friends to the restaurant.
Not on close terms with them, and anyway I believe a simple family meal suffice.
I've been comparing and trying to find restaurants that offers birthday packages.
Unfortunately, most offers 10pax menu - we only have 6 pax.

Anyone has any ideas for a cosy birthday meal?

2. Gifts for dad

Kind of having a headache thinking about this.
a) Was asking my brother if we should get him gold.
But, we don't know how to buy it, and I'm not sure how useful it will be for my dad.

b) iPad or laptop
The first question, does my dad use iPad or laptop?
He doesn't play games, and he uses the computer for stocks check (ever since Teletext "resigned")
iPad could be good for him, and my bf said it's better than a laptop since it is easier to use.

c) Or should I just get him a red packet? Was thinking of $888 hahaha.

d) a shirt for him is too normal, we've been getting him a new shirt every year for CNY. But, it is another alternative as well...just more boring.

e) what about a 寿 painting? But ehhhh, my dad is not so cultured :P

What did you guys prepare for your parent's 60th birthday?
Let me know :)
Hopefully my list gave you some inspirations as well!

If you wish to find out what I got for him, click here: http://cherrycheong.blogspot.sg/2014/03/gift-for-dad-60th-birthday-osim-urelax.html

No comments:

Post a Comment